coronavirus update indiaas on : 22 September 2020 06:08 GMT+5:30
Sachin Pilot Vs Ashok Gehlot: No Action Against Team Pilot For Now, Rajasthan High Court Says "Status Quo"| Updates
Team Pilot has 19 MLAs and the BJP has 72.
Sachin Pilot Vs Ashok Gehlot: No Action Against Team Pilot, For Now, Rajasthan High Court Says "Status Quo"| Updates
New Delhi: The Rajasthan High Court today said that no action can be taken against Sachin Pilot and other rebels Congress leader for now. However the verdict has been delayed after the court accepted team Pilot's request to add the centre to the cases so it can weigh in on whether the anti-defection law applies to them
Day after the Supreme Corut said the "voice of dissent" cannot be suppressed in a democracy, Sachin Pilot and other rebel Congress leaders decision whether they can be disqualified by the Speaker as the Rajasthan High Court pronounces its verdict on their petition may be delayed.
The rebels want the centre to weigh in on whether the anti-defection law applies to their case
On Thursday the Supreme Court refused to stop the High Court from delivering its verdict, which is likely to impact the revolt-hit Congress government in Rajasthan. Yesterday CM Ashok Gehlot said that he was confident of his majority and an assembly session would be soon.
Updates in the story
1. Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot will take all Congress MLAs with him to the Governor in a show of strength and is expected to call for an assembly session
2.The Rajasthan High Court will decide on the petition of the 19 rebel MLAs including Sachin Pilot challenging disqualification notices served to them by the Speaker CP Joshi last week after they skipped tow meetings. The court has made the centre a party to the case to seek its views on the validity of the anti-defection law in the case of the rebels.
3. Also, the High Court had asked the Speaker to defer any action against the rebel until its verdict. The speakers have challenged the request in the Supreme Court, arguing that no court had jurisdiction in this case. The Supreme Court which heard the case through the video-conferencing said the issues raised in the Speaker's petitio required "prolonged hearing".
4. Ashok Gehlot hours after the team Pilot scored in the Supreme Court told reporters that an assembly session would be called soon and he had the majority
5."We will call the assembly session soon. We have a majority. All Congress MLAs are united," the Chief Minister told reporters
6. Mr Gehlot said he expected some rebels to return. "Some have been held, hostage. Bouncers have been hired to guard them. They are calling us. We are hoping they will vote with us. We have the full majority and with that majority, we will go to the house," he said.
7. Team Pilot has 19 MLAs and the BJP has 72. Including smaller parties and independent members, the opposition has 97 at the moment. Whereas the opposition has only two more than the majority mark of 101 in the 200 memver Rajasthan assembly
8. If the rebel MLAs win their case against the disqualification, they can vote against the Congress government and make it tough for Mr. Gehlot.
9."At a time when our priority should be to save lives and livelihoods of the masses, the center has become the main conspirator in toppling a state government," Mr. Gehlot wrote to PM Modi. "I don't know how much you know about this or whether you are being misled. History will also not forgive those who are complicit in these plots," he said.
10.Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot jas a narrow lead in 200 member assembly. If the courts decide team Pilot's 19 MLAs can be disqualified, Mr. Gehlot can win more easily