coronavirus update indiaas on : 20 October 2020 05:22 GMT+5:30
Navratri 2020 Day 1: Worship Maa Shailputri On First Day Of Navratri, Importance and Mantras
The first day of navratras is called Pratipada and people worship Goddess Shailputri, also known as Bhavani, Parvati or Hemavati, on this day. ‘Shail’ means mountains and ‘putri’ means daughter.
Happy Navratri 2020: Worship Maa Shailputri On the First Day Of Navratri, Importance, and Mantras
New Delhi: 1st day of Navratri is dedicated purely to Maa Shailputri (the daughter of Himalaya Raj) Ghatasthapana and Shailputri puja is performed on this day. She is the first form of the nine incarnation Goddess Durga. She is known to be the earthly essence. Maa Shailputri is also known as Bhavani, Parvati, and Hemavati. Praying for maa Shailaputri believes that it keeps the person away from all the bad effects of the moon. So, Navratri day 1 is dedicated to Maa Shailputri Puja. In 2020, Shardiya Navratri starts from Saturday, 17 October 2020. Food items including jaggery, coconut, bananas, kheer are also offered as ‘bhog’ to the nine forms of 'Shakti’ during the nine days of Navratri.
Maa Shailputri is the enormous and the absolute form of Nava Durga since she was the wife of Lord Shiva and is known as ‘Parvati’. She took birth as the daughter of Lord Himalaya due to which she is named as Shailputri – the daughter of Himalaya Raj. Goddess with half moon in her forehead and holds a trident in her right hand & lotus flower in her left hand. The Goddess can be seen seated on Nandi (bull).
Puja vidhi :
The puja begins with Ghatasthapana, a ritual that symbolizes women's power. Ghatasthapana is performed on the 1st day of Navratri and considered as the most significant custom of Navratri. This puja should be performed by the proper rituals and puja muhurat. It is prohibited during Amavasya and night time. Ghatasthapana is a prayer of Goddess Shakti and doing it wrong time; might bring rage of the Goddess Shakti.
- Take a shallow utensil with a wide mouth made of clay is often used as the base. Three layers of each of mud and seeds of Sapta Dhanya / Navadhanya (seven or nine different grains) are scattered in the pan.
- Water is sprinkled so that the seeds get enough moisture to germinate.
- 3- A Kalash (made of brass/copper or silver) smaller than the mouth of the pan is filled with Ganga Jal or regular clean water. A few currency coins, supari, Akshat (Raw rice mixed with turmeric powder), and Durva grass are put in the water.
- 4- Then five leaves of the mango tree are placed around the neck of the Kalash.
- And finally, the neck of the Kalash is covered by placing a coconut with its fiber protruding upward. Some people put raw rice, coins, dried turmeric fruit, and kumkum in the Kalash instead of water.
- 6-This Kalash is then kept right in the middle of the pan filled with the mud and Navadhanya.
- 7-Then a Haldi-kumkum tika (pithiyan) is put on the Kalash. You can even cover the Kalash with a fresh piece of colored cloth and put a small festoon around it.
- 8-Once the Ghata is prepared, place it in your Puja room on a wooden platform. Then you need to invoke Goddess Durga in the Kalash and thus invite her to your home to accept your offerings and prayers.
- After invoking the Goddess (which is similar to Prana Pratishthan), you need to perform the Panchopachara Puja wherein you would be required to greet her with Chandan, flowers, incense, an oil lamp, and fruits or Prasad.
Significance of Shailputri Puja:
It is believed that the Moon - the provider of all good fortunes is only and only governed by Goddess Shailputri so any bad effect of the Moon can be overcome by worshipping her. Shailaputri is the essence of earthly existence. Her abode is in the Muladhara Chakra. The divine Energy existed in every human being. It is to be realized. Its color is crimson. The Tattva (element) is Earth, with the Guna (quality)and with the Bheda (distinct) characteristics of Gharana(the smell).
This time Navratri is coming when the world is facing a huge pandemic and till by now no medicine or vaccine is known so far. So less socialization on temples tries to do ‘bhajans’ at home with family. Feed stray cows roaming around in our locality instead of girls for Kanya Poojan.
Navratri marks the victory of good over evil and Ghatashthapana uplifts the feminine power in the name of Durga.
The team of dailyaddaa wishes everyone A Very Happy Navratri and a prosperous year ahead!