coronavirus update indiaas on : 06 August 2020 10:15 GMT+5:30
"Blocking Chinese App Is India's Biggest Digital Strike":Ravi Shankar Prasad
Blocking Chinese apps was a digital strike, says minister Ravi Shankar Prasad: news agency PTI
"Blocking Chinese App Is India's Biggest Digital Strike": Ravi Shankar Prasad
New Delhi: The Union Home Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has said India's surprise move to ban 59 Chinese app days after a violent face-off between Indian and Chinse soldiers in the eastern Ladakh was a "digital strike".
Mr. Prasad at a BJP rally in West Bengal said that We banned Chinese apps to protect data of countrymen; it was a digital strike," reported news agency PTI.
The Law, Communication Electronics and Information Technology Minister echoing a similar statement that PM Modi made last week on the India-CHina border tension said that "India is for peace, but if somebody casts an evil eye we will give a befitting reply".
Earlier Government of India blocked 59 apps with Chinese links amid tension with the neighboring country. The apps' list included the hugely popular TikTok, Shareit, and UC Browser. The clashes between the two-nation martyred 20 Indian soldiers in action and more than 70 were injured.
Centre in a statement said apps were blocked "in view of the information available they are engaged in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, the security of the state and public order".
As the government decided to disallow 59 Chinese apps in India, PM Modi has decided to quit the Chinese microblogging website Sina Weibo, which he had joined a few years ago.
Prime Minister's account on Wednesday went blank after his profile photo, posts, and comments were removed from the handle.
The largest Chinese microblogging site twitter-like account Weibo has a more complex procedure to quit for VIP accounts, which is why the official process was initiated.
PM Modi has posted 115 on Weibo. It was decided to manually delete them and after much effort 113 posts were removed.
The two posts left were posts where the PM has photos with President Xi Jinping.
It is difficult to remove posts with photos on Weibo of their President which is why two posts still remained. Now all the posts have gone.
The Prime Minister's follower count stands at 244,000 presently which was roughly the same when the deletion of posts began.