NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation at the Central Hall of Parliament ahead of the GST launch at midnight. While the Congress and Trinamool Congress decided to abstain from the launch event, it was attended by NCP chief Sharad Pawar, former PM HD Deve Gowda and NDA allies. The landmark tax reform was launched just after midnight by the Prime Minister and President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Today, the GST Council had its 18th meeting. It is a coincidence that the Bhagavad Gita also has 18 chapters.
- Imagine what India would've looked like today had Sardar Vallabhai Patel hadn't united all kingdoms of India. Just like that, GST is uniting all markets of India today.
- Albert Einstein had once said that if there is one thing that is most difficult to understand, it is income tax. I wonder what he would have said had he seen our tax system.
- The law may say GST is Goods and Services Tax, but in reality it is Good and Simple Tax. More than economic reform, it is a social reform.
- Sometimes there are concerns when we do new things. People who create unnecessary concerns, I request them not to.