DK Shivakumar, the Karnataka minister raided on Wednesday by taxmen, had been under observation for three months, top government sources have said. Around Rs. 10 crore in cash was found after raids at 60 places linked to the minister in Karnataka and Delhi; searches were carried out again at his residence in Bengaluru and at other locations this morning. Income Tax sources, is being investigated for tax evasion and channeling large amounts into real estate and jewellery after demonetisation, . He was allegedly caught ripping up documents when the raid team arrived at the Eagleton Golf Resort in Bengaluru looking for him.
1. Mr Shivakumar, Energy Minister in Karntaka's Congress government, channelled funds through Singapore, Income Tax officials said. Shell firms and their operatives allegedly linked to this case are also being investigated.
2. The charge was given in Karnataka to the 55 year old Congress trouble shooter, for the 43 party lawmakers flown to Bengaluru from Gujarat to check defections ahead of the Rajya Sabha polls.
3. He was believed to have rushed back from Singapore after the Gujarat legislators were brought to Bengaluru late on Friday night.
4. Next year, in Karnatak the Congress' Mr Shivakumar is chairman and campaign committee for the election.
5. The six-time lawmaker is strong in the Vokkaliga belt in the state.
6. He is among the richest politicians in the country. According to the Association for Democratic Reforms, Mr Shivakumar has assets worth R251 crore.
7. In 2013, allegedly an unusual way is used by Mt Shivakumar of getting back at party colleague GH Prakash for crossing over to the Janata Dal Secular. Mr Shivakumar's supporters allegedly dug up a six-foot deep trench around Mr Prakash's house.
8. Recently, he sent R50,000 to a family in Madhya Pradesh that was in the news over images of two sisters ploughing a field. He tweeted: "I am sending (a demand draft)... to the Farmer in the hope that he can buy oxen & let his daughters study."
9. Mr Shivakumar and his family been linked to several cases of illegal mining and transporting granite illegally, and corrupt land deals.
10. In his affidavit filed for the 2013 assembly election in the state, he said some of the cases against him are linked to forgery, criminal conspiracy, cheating by personification, illegal purchase of property and cheating.