A 55 political parties meeting that could help firm the ground rules for the hackathon promised by the Election Commission to establish the voting machine that were reliable will start today at 10 AM. The meeting comes against the backdrop of a campaign of high pitched by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal led- Aam Aadmi Party that convened a special session of Delhi Assembly to make a point this week that the voting machine could be tampered. All in 90 seconds, after the demonstration it claimed where it engineer-lawmaker Saurabh Bharadwaj ‘hacked’ a lookalike gadget. To the other opposition parties the line suits too which includes the party like Congress that rejected steadfastly similar concern raised after 2009 Lok Sabha elections by BJP leaders, then in opposition. The AAP’s allegations has brusquely rejected by the commission levelled after the lost Punjab assembly election and advised the party to introspect instead but about a dozen of opposition parties later too expressed concerns, it decided to hold meeting today.
10 points on this story are:-
1) the poll body is been challenged by Aam Aadmi Party to give it chance to prove the things how the machines used in the assembly polls were pre-programmed to favour a particular party.
2) Ahead of the meeting Saurabh Bharadwaj said, ‘We will demonstrate and prove before the panel how EVMs can be tampered with the help of its ROM (read only memory).’
3) For any demonstration for the hackathon the sources suggest that Saurabh Bharadwaj have to wait that may have in mind. On Friday’s meeting the demonstration will take place, by the demonstration will be done by the officials. The representatives of the political parties who will be present can ask the questions only.
4) To persuade the political parties the Election Commission’s strategy about the election process is two-fold. To reassure parties one will be to attempt the technology used by standalone gadget made it virtually impossible and impractical to tamper with the machines, the machines are kept in a secure location.
5) The commission will stress that such concerns would be automatically taken care of since the body poll had decided to use the VVPAT equipped.
6) The instant evidence that add-on gadget offers of the vote recorded by printing a paper receipt that is visible before it drops into a sealed box. The stalled the poll body’s proposal for months by the government for its purchase, last month agreed to spend Rs. 3,200 crore for these machines.
7) All the seven national and 48 state level political parties the EVM is not all will talk about it. Hoping to build the support by the Election Commission to disqualify candidates who have been charged by a court for bribing voters.
8) Today’s meeting the communist party of India-Marxist leader Brinda Karat said that it was true that themachines could be hacked. "However, the only way to secure these against manipulations is to have a paper trail system. So, every election from now on has to have VVPATs," she said.
9) Vivek Tankha the Congress leader said that the paper trial mechanism that lets a voter to confirm which votes are for which candidate, has not been universally installed. "The Election Commission has to take a call. At the end of the day it (elections) is all about trust," he said.
10) Mayawati the Bahujan Samaj Party chief said while tampered EVMs were to blame for the BJP's big win in Uttar Pradesh, there were other reasons too. One of them, she acknowledged, was the sacked party leader Naseemuddin Siddiqui who she had entrusted to interact with Muslims.